Friday, August 10, 2012

New place, new people, new work

It has been many moons since I last updated this blog, and quite a bit has happened since then. Here are some highlights:

I now have a new job, in a new town. Because my work was previously happening at a frustratingly slow pace, my supervisor and I decided to look into new options. Now I'm working with Junior Achievement in Keetmanshoop, in southern Namibia, although I have spent very little time there so far. For the past 6 weeks I was traveling to help conduct youth business skills trainings as part of a micro-credit program. Participants complete a week long training, and then can apply for a small loan to start their businesses.

When I actually start working in Keetmanshoop, I'll have three main responsibilities. First, I'll be implementing Junior Achievement programs in the three secondary schools in town. Secondly I will mentor and keep regular contact with past beneficiaries of the youth credit program. Lastly, I'll work with a weekend program for teenagers on social and financial education using curriculum from Aflatoun, an organization that Junior Achievement partners with in Namibia.

Because I've moved, I'll have a new mailing address. Since I haven't really been at my new site much, though, I don't have it yet. I'll post it here when I have it.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome, Fike! I did Junior Achievement this year for 2nd graders and it was awesome. I am sure it is different there, though! Hope all is well and send us that address asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reread your whole blog. The entry about the first day of school stuck out to me because today is the first day of school for many in the USA (including Witt). I hope the move goes well! Can't wait to read what happens next in your crazy adventure! Khotso, Jessie

    ReplyDelete