Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hello from Namibia!

After a couple of long days in airplanes and airports, we finally landed in Windhoek this morning. We were immediately greeted at the airport with a great welcome from current volunteers and some Namibian staff members. I was the first one through customs, and was responsible for the awkward hello to the people holding a Peace Corps banner which triggered chanting and singing from those who were waiting for us. We traveled to our training site, and have just wrapped up a day of some basic introductions to the training staff and the country. I'm now just finishing up a brief tour of the city, which gave us a good chance to get some bearings. I was surprised to see how many Namibian nationals were on the Peace Corps staff here. I'm really looking forward to working with them throughout the training period and beyond. 

Sorry to be brief, but after two straight nights of overnight flights and minimal sleep (and a 5:10am landing this morning!), I'm ready to finally get some sleep...I could probably use a quick freshening up on personal hygiene too. Take care.

1 comment: